Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The People of Paris

You can talk to ten different people and get ten different opinions on how they found the people of Paris to be on their visit. In most cases, whether in Paris or at home, how you approach people will make a difference on their reaction to you. Generally I have found, if you are friendly, they will be also. And on my visit, I found that people often took the initiative to help when they suspected help was needed. Although, in one case, it was definitely not to my advantage.

In this case, I have to admit that my almost first contact with a Parisienne was not how I would have wished it to be. On my arrival at the airport, as I stood looking for signs directing me to the shuttle/train that would take me to the Metro which would take me to my hotel, a man came up to me to offer his services. I was initially impressed to find someone so friendly and helpful in a city full of strangers. When I told him what I was looking for, he took me to the machine and put in his own credit card and got me a ticket and then pointed me to where I had to go after helping me up a flight of stairs with my luggage. Then, when few people were around, he told me the ticket was 35 Euros, which being the totally green tourist that I was, and having no idea how much a ticket would cost, I'm embarrassed to say that I gave him. I must have been flashing bright neon green like a fresh-faced teenager when he spotted me. We had been warned about the pick pockets that proliferate the city but not about the blantant scammers. Being of the age I am, I should have been somewhat more aware than the gullible person I proved myself to be.

Although we had many warnings before our trip about pick pockets, we had no problems although we did keep our purses close to our bodies. My daughter-in-law did see a pick pocket in action and she said the man whose pocket was picked had no idea. These Paris pick-pocketers are fast and exceedingly competent at this activity.

In another case, again no doubt looking lost, a man came up and looking at the address where I wanted to go, directed me to a train. But because of the language difficulties we were encountering, he took me to someone else who spoke some English. After a discussion with the lady, she said he apparently thought I wanted to go to the Opera House which was no where near my destination. She very kindly gave me correct directions.

I found this to be the case in most instances - at the Metro and train stations people were extremely helpful as most were on the street when directions were required. Servers in restaurants were helpful also and some, finding out where we came from, said, 'Oh Vancouver, it is considered the best place in the world to live'. In one case a waiter even got a dictionary so he could better understand what we were saying.

One day while travelling on the Metro in Paris, in a crowd of people, I was the last person to get on. I had managed to put my luggage onto the train and then stepped up myself when the doors closed with me caught in the middle of them. There is no sensor on the doors to warn the driver of any mishaps but fortunately, people being who they were, four men jumped up and with two on each side managed to pry the doors open. My daughter-in-law then grabbed my arm and pulled me into the train. After several heart-felt thank you's to my saviours, I stood, hanging tightly onto the pole, with my heart pounding loudly in my ears and my face now a brilliant red. I was definitely embarrassed and the occupants of the train probably thought, 'crazy tourist'.

But people in Paris are basically like people everywhere and a smile there, like anywhere, goes a long way in producing friendly relationships. Especially when that smile is served along with a friendly 'Merci'.

No comments:

Post a Comment